Spring Project 2000
Later Roman Empire (ca. 400AD)
- Name of Territory (in Latin and in English, if
- Name, course, teacher, date
Map/Photo/drawing of your territory
(Major Events from the founding of Rome to 400 AD)
- Identify territory assigned to you.
- What most interesting about it?
- What was most surprising to learn?
- Explain how you first want to survey the
transformation of the city of Rome into the
Empire of 400 AD .
- Did Rome initially seek world domination?
- What motivated their early Expansion on the
- What motivated their expansion beyond Italy?
- What periods/leaders most contributed to this
- What were limiting factors on Roman expansion?
- What role did the military play in early Roman
- Who fought in the Roman armies?
- Who was in charge of the army? To whom was the
army primarily responsible?
- Did the army have a say in choosing the political
leaders of the Empire?
- What was the organization (the various
ranks/divisions) of the army?
Roman Administration and Governance
- How did Roman govern such a vast territory?
- What were the four Roman prefectures? Who
- What were the 13 Roman dioceses? Who were in
- How does the modern map of Europe/Asia
resemble these early divisions?
- Does the Roman Emperor always reside in Rome?
- Is Rome always the capital of the Empire?
- How does the government pay for armies/
bureaucracy/etc? (Tax system/collection)
Page 5: Roman
- How did trade/commerce motivate growth?
- Describe the system of roads and the role they
played in maintaining order and uniting the
- What were the primary trade routes? and the benefits
for the empire?
- What role did water transportation play?
- What goods came to Rome from the various
Province, or City)
- Where is your territory located?
- What prefecture? What diocese? What province?
- When did your territory become integrated into the
- What was the history of the territory before the
Romans took over?
* peoples who lived here? etc.
* major accomplishments/achievements before
- Relative importance (military/political) of your
territory for the rest of the Empire.
- Economy of your territory
* wealthy/poor in comparison with the other parts
of the Empire? Why?
* types of agriculture, trade, mining, people
* major trading partners
* Religion of you territory?
- Local cults/rites
* Local enemies/threats
- Located on the frontier?
- On-going threats?
* Interesting facts about your territory
- major Roman/historical figures
- poets/authors/artists from your region
- major battles fought
* Interesting buildings/structures (any still
- Modern/contemporary perspectives of your
- Talk about experiences learned in trying to
compose this report.
- Areas of further research possible/that would be
Return to Latin Page